This succulent roast beef dish combines smooth horseradish cream and sweet beetroot for a welcome addition to your Christmas table.
- 1 kg top side of beef
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs, halved
- 1 dstsp. olive oil
- 3 beetroots, cooked and grated
- 2 tbsps. horseradish cream
- 5 tbsps. crème fraîche
- 16 chestnuts, cooked and chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 3 tbsps. of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or Gas Mark 6. Using a small sharp knife, make eight one-inch deep incisions in the beef and then into each incision insert the halved garlic cloves and halved rosemary stalks.
- Season the beef with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- First you need to seal the beef before putting it in the oven.
- Put a frying pan on a high heat and add the olive oil.
- Once the pan is really hot, add the beef and sear the meat for one minute on each side.
- Then place the beef in a roasting tin and roast for 45 minutes in the pre-heated oven.
- Removing from the oven a couple of times to baste with the juices.
- While the beef is cooking make the beetroot, chestnut and horseradish cream by mixing together the crème fraîche, grated beetroot, lemon juice and zest, horseradish cream, 2/3 of the chestnuts and 2/3 of the parsley.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Once the beef is cooked, remove from the oven and cover with tin foil to keep it warm.
- Allow it to rest for ten minutes before you slice and serve.
- Once it’s rested, slice the beef and transfer to a warmed serving platter then drizzle the beetroot and horseradish cream over the top.
- Finally, sprinkle the remaining chestnuts and parsley over the beef and serve.