This spicy honey glazed ham recipe incorporates complementary spicy and sweet flavours for a succulent Christmas main.
- 1 whole ham (1.5kg), de-boned
- 28 whole cloves (approx.)
- For the glaze
- 2 tsps ground ginger
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 65g light-brown sugar
- 100g of honey
- 1 orange, juice and zest
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare the ham by trimming away any excess fat, leaving about a 1/4-inch layer all over.
- Place the ham, cut side down, on a baking sheet and cover the ham with aluminum foil and bake for an hour.
- Meanwhile, place all the ingredients for the glaze in a bowl and whisk until completely combined.
- Remove the ham from the oven after an hour and increase the oven temperature to 220°C or Gas Mark 7.
- Discard the foil and using a sharp knife, score a one-inch-wide diamond pattern over the entire ham.
- Stud each diamond with a clove.
- Brush the ham with the glaze and return it to the oven, and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cover the whole baking tray with aluminum foil and return to the oven for a further 30 minutes.
- Let the ham rest 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.