5 Tips for looking after your mental health.
We all know the importance of good physical health, but looking after your mental wellbeing can be just as important. Just as you take care of your body by eating right and exercising, you can also make small changes in your daily life to help improve your mental health.
Here are just a few tips for looking after your mental health:
- Think Positive – Not only can positive thinking impact your ability to cope with stress and boost your immunity, it also has an impact on your overall well-being. By using positive affirmations you will reduce anxiety and stress, and to motivate yourself to achieve your goals. Simply telling yourself “I can” instead of “not possible” can have a positive effect on your mental health.
- Sleep – get a minimum of seven hours sleep each night to ensure you feel refreshed and energized for the day ahead. To help with this make sure to avoid caffeine or heavy food in the evenings, avoid phones or tablets before or while in bed, keep the lights low while getting ready, relax with a warm drink and read a book or try meditating before going to bed.
- Say No to Stress – try not to dwell on the past and focus more on the present and the future. Try not to stress over what you cannot change, learn from your mistakes and take time to recharge
- Exercising Regularly – exercising is not only good for your physical health it can be equally as important for your mental health. Studies show that exercise greatly improves our mental well-being, going for a 20-minute walk each day can make all the difference.
- Be Creative – as we get older (and busier) many of us drop the creative activities and hobbies we once enjoyed so much. This year, start getting creative: bake, paint, draw, sew, knit, craft, write, dance or sing. Whatever helps bring out that creative side in you.
We hope you enjoy this little help as part of January Health Event